From what you’ve seen of the course so far and in the course outline, which of the assessment strategies in your reading this week are being used in this course?

I have observed three primary assessment strategies while evaluating the course outline and my own progress: peer evaluations, formative assessment, and authentic assessment. Firstly, the requirement to provide feedback and interact with other’s posts aligns with the community of inquiry framework (CoI). This approach fosters a deeper understanding of the material through interaction and constructive feedback. Next, formative assessment complements the CoI framework by focusing on the recipients of the feedback. This strategy provides feedback without assigning grades, which helps students progressively improve their understanding and writing skills. Finally, the group project component incorporates real-world relevance and collaborative learning. This approach aligns with authentic assessment, aiming to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Which are not being used?

The primary assessment strategy missing is summative evaluation, which involves measuring the quality of learning through grades or scores. While the principles and knowledge gained over the previous weeks are valuable, they may not be essential for our future blog posts. Furthermore, summative evaluation typically implies a final exam or assessment, which this course does not include.

What learning theories (from Week 1) do these connect to?

I want to mention this video that helped me understand the concepts besides the readings:

I would also like to preface this by acknowledging that while Behaviorism, Cognitivism, and Constructivism theories are integrated to varying extents in each assessment strategy, I will highlight the theory that aligns most closely with each type of assessment.

Peer Evaluations

Constructivism emphasizes active, social learning where knowledge is built through interaction. Peer evaluations align with this theory as they involve collaboration, reflection, and dialogue. Through evaluating each other’s blogs, students engage in discussions, share insights, and provide feedback, which helps them collectively construct understanding and deepen their knowledge.

Formative Assessment

Cognitivism focuses on feedback’s role in learning and modifying cognitive structures. Formative assessment aligns with this theory by providing continuous feedback, helping students adjust their understanding and strategies. Regular feedback on blogs helps students refine their cognitive processes and improve their writing and comprehension through an iterative learning process.

Authentic Assessment

Authentic assessments are rooted in constructivist theory, which emphasizes real-world tasks and active engagement. This type of assessment promotes deep learning through meaningful, practical experiences. Creating projects that simulate professional tasks helps students construct knowledge through real-world application, reflection, and collaboration, aligning with constructivist principles.

How does it compare to other courses you’ve taken in your studies? 

This course is different from my previous classes primarily in its assessment methods. Unlike most of my earlier courses, which primarily used summative assessments such as exams and final projects to gauge learning at specific points, this course uses ongoing feedback, peer evaluations, and practical assessments. These approaches encourage continuous learning and collaboration, allowing, hopefully for a deeper understanding of the material throughout the course rather than focusing solely on end-of-term evaluations.

My Comment: